Headed on vacation? Don’t forget to schedule some time for dental hygiene! Here’s some easy ways to make sure your pearly whites stay healthy and strong while you’re traveling.
- Don’t wrap or keep your toothbrush in a holder without holes for ventilation.
- Moisture locked inside can cause bacteria to grow on your toothbrush.
- Keep your toothbrush in a large enough container to circulate air.
- Keep it dry
- Leave your toothbrush out of your travel bag or case to let it dry out.
- Pack an extra toothbrush
- It’s easy for toothbrushes to get lost and those provided by the hotel are too firm for your gums.
- Pack one in your carry-on and one in your checked baggage.
- The more compact your oral hygiene items, the more likely you are to keep them handy and use them.
- Foldable toothbrushes
- Mini toothpastes
- Small bottle of mouthwash
- Keep these in a purse or carry-on bag so you can use them during your flights.
Don’t drink the water!
- If you’re traveling somewhere you can’t drink the water, don’t rinse your mouth or your toothbrush with it.
- According to the CDC, Use bottled water for your oral hygiene.
Pack chewing gum
- If you find it hard to keep up with brushing your teeth as often as usual, chewing sugarless gum after eating.
- Also, green tea can protect your teeth.
Watch your sugar intake
- Vacation time is a time to eat whatever you want!
- However, sugary treats can have a bad effect on your teeth and gums.
- Try to keep those treats to a minimum.
If it has been a while since your last check-up or if you’re new to the area and looking for a family dentist, give us a call today at (931) 647-2243. We love new patients at Richview Family Dentistry!