The Importance of At Home Oral Health
At Richview Family Dentistry, we believe in regular dental check-ups, but your at-home oral health care is just as important.
The following are recommendations from the American Dental Association.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss daily.
- Eat a healthy diet that limits sugary beverages and snacks.
- See your dentist regularly for prevention and treatment of oral disease.
- If you have an increased risk of gum disease, consider mouth rinse or toothpaste with proven antimicrobial activity.
- If you have an increased risk of caries, consider fluoridated mouth rinse.
- If you struggle with cleaning between your teeth, ask us about interdental cleaning tools.
- If you need improved plaque removal, consider a power toothbrush.
- Richview Family Dentistry discourages
- The use of do-it-yourself orthodontic treatments*
- Tobacco usage and/or smokeless tobacco
- Oral piercings
- Richview Family Dentistry recommends
- Drinking fluoridated water
* Some of the dangers of DIY at home orthodontics include:
- Choking on makeshift brackets
- Metal clips such as paper clips and other metals can become toxic if left in the mouth for extended periods
- The snapping of bands directly onto your teeth can crack your enamel. Enamel loss is permanent
- The gums can become infected, resulting in serious and often expensive treatment
- Crooked smiles due to teeth being moved at the wrong angle
- Pain and lacerations from bands sinking into soft tissue
- Long term issues and pain from moving teeth too quickly
If it’s been a while since your last check-up or if you’re new to the area and looking for a family dentist, give us a call today at (931) 647-2243. We love new patients at Richview Family Dentistry!